Tuesday, April 04, 2006

 

Ding-Ding-Ding-Ding! We Have a Winner!

It is a still.

It's a few hundred feet behind my house.

The previous owner of my house and his dad operated it during the 60's and 70's.

There is--believe it or not--still a long strand of black-plastic waterline that runs from the back of my property to the still.

I thought it was interesting and I had to share it with someone.

One of my oldest and best friends was raised on top of the next hill and can remember seeing the smoke rising from the woods when it was operating.

I can remember my own dad telling a story about how some of our cousins in the next county blindfolded him and led him to their still when we were home visiting one summer.

Stills are operating in the county even now. Now and then I even come upon someone who has a jug and have a sip or two. Some of it has been really great quality. Some of it hasn't.

So, there are still stills (heh,heh,) in these here hills!

Congrats to ElAshley! I'd award a link but he's already linked. Imagine that, of all the people who come to this blog and someone wins who already has a link.

Sorry, El--no prize for you!

Comments: Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?