Sunday, March 05, 2006

 

Gid Waterfall


I've had my weekly dose of Ozarka today. It was a sweet fix. My spirit is soaring.

This morning I watched "National Treasure" for the first time ever. My family rented the DVD last year but I was blogging and never watched it. It was with that feelng of adventure and history that I left when my road-running buddy came and picked me up in his Jeep this morning.

Years ago, this same friend and I, along with two others, went to a site deep in the hollows near old Lafferty Creek. We hiked down a deep draw, stopping awhile at an awesome shelter cave that spanned the draw. There was much evidence of habitation--the natural shelter was well-suited for stone-age families. There is a hole in the roof of that cave which allows the water from the draw to fall into a pool at the bottom and run out of the cave to continue on its way. From memory, I would say that the area of covered protection was some 500-600 sqare feet. I didn't go to that sight today--not enough time (or energy). I did go to the object of our adventure that day long ago, however--the Gid Waterfall.


src="http://photos1.blogger.com/blogger/3952/1252/400/gid%20waterfall%20025.jpg" border="0" alt="" />



Gid was an early community in Izard County Arkansas. It was only a few miles up-creek from the first settlement--Lafferty. I don't know much about its history. I've asked the landowner and a few old-timers from the area about the old community but no-one seems to know much. I've researched a little and found the same. I intend to do a little more research.
I do know that there was a grist-mill at the site. One of the reasons I love the place so much is that it reminds me of my youth, walking across ruin-strew hills on the island of Crete. I can't be sure, but I believe that the ruins in the photos are those of the old grist-mill. I'd really like to know more about the history of the place.

The waterfall, itself is 30-40 feet high (I've never actually measured it), and though not lively at this time because of near drought conditions in our area, the fall can sometimes stretch across most of the precipice at the top and much of the time slides like two wide ribbons across the moss-encased limestone. It's fed from a spring high up on the hill and runs all year long. Because of this, I have seen the waterfal in the full grips of old man winter. Once, I hiked through the snow with some others to see the waterfall. In close to zero weather the water channels through encrusated ice at the top splashing onto a 5-6 foot frozen mound at the bottom. The walls of the cliff behind the fall is layered with frozen spray. It was quite a sight--I actually have some shots I took with an old PENTAX 100 years ago, buried in some album.
I hope you enjoy these shots. I love sharing the hills where I reside. Now I have a better camera. I don't know the best settings on it yet, but I'll figure the thing out sooner or later.

Comments: Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?