Thursday, September 29, 2005

 

John Roberts and the Arkansas Democrats

I don't really know whether or not to be pleased about the new Chief Justice of the Supreme Court. I think I am, but judging from past appointments I thought would be beneficial to the conservative cause, I can't come to a firm conclusion about him. I guess I'll know in a few years-oh, well!
I'm a little surprised that the two Democratic Senators from my state of Arkansas voted yes for his confirmation. I'm not too surprised about Mark Pryor-he has done a pretty good job representing our state and its people's values. I voted for Blanche Lincoln when she won her seat in the House, years ago. I haven't voted for her since. The way she has voted over the years has left me quite disappointed. Her disposition is on par with that of the "responsible and valiant", Kathleen Blanco, the "courageous" Louisiana Governor.
I never thought I would say this. Although I did not vote for Mark Pryor when he won his Senate seat, depending on the candidates who challenge him in the future-and depending on the positions he takes in the future-this old hillbilly may actually cast a vote for a Democrat running for national office.
I figure, since the liberal Democrats over at the Arkansas Blog are always down on Pryor, he must be doing something I like!

Here's his statement after the vote:

"I congratulate John Roberts on his confirmation to be the 17th Chief Justice of the Supreme Court. Supreme Court justices deserve a high threshold of review, and over the past few months, the Senate has fulfilled its duty in deliberating the Roberts nomination. Now, it is my sincere hope that John Roberts does his job by being a fair and impartial jurist, upholding the Constitution above all else.

I praise the President for consulting with Senators before picking Justice Roberts as a nominee; these efforts allowed him to select an individual who could have the broad support of the Senate. I look forward to the President engaging us again and nominating a consensus nominee that will unite us, not divide."

You can find a complete list of how Democrats voted here.
Notice the names, notice what areas of the country they represent-quite telling!

You don't need a special list for Republicans-they all voted "Aye"!

Comments: Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?